Monday, August 30, 2010

Smooth Sailing with Food Allergies

by Kelley Lindberg


August was a good month for me, as far as spreading the word about food allergies. First, I wrote an article for this month’s issue of Cruising World magazine about how we provisioned our sailboat charter the last time we went sailing – in the lovely waters of St. Lucia, St. Vincent, and the Grenadines. My article gives tips on how to get your charter company to provision your boat (stock it with food) that accommodates your food allergies. (And it includes my recipe for Easy Salsa-Baked Chicken.) (“Allergy-Free in Paradise,” Cruising World, August 2010 )

I was pleased to see that another article in the issue also dealt with provisioning with food allergies – that one talked a little about the captain’s gluten allergy, and a sidebar discussed charter companies’ suggestions for provisioning. (“Provisioning for Gourmands and Glutenphobes,” Cruising World, Aug. 2010). Knowing that the subject of food allergies has become important enough to merit a prominent theme in a respected sailing magazine says a lot.

The last article I’m linking to today is one I didn’t write. Instead, my son and I were interviewed for an article about food allergies in the Ogden, Utah, newspaper. (“‘I’m Allergic’ The Battle Cry Becoming More Common Among Adults and Children,” Ogden Standard-Examiner, Aug 30, 2010.)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Shari said...

Thanks for sharing these links, Kelley.

In the article that profiled you and Orion, you mentioned that people should know what to do when they see someone having a severe allergic reaction. I wouldn't have a clue.

Since allergies are so common, I think that might be something to discuss more in public. Just as CPR and other first aid measures are widely-known for emergencies, how to deal with a severe allergic reaction should also be common knowledge.

Kelley J. P. Lindberg said...

Great idea, Shari! I'll write about that in next Monday's post...