Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Teen Dies at California Camp

By Kelley Lindberg

Tragedy occurred this week at a family camp in Sacramento, and it’s especially sad because the family did everything right, and 13-year-old Natalie Giorgi still passed away from her reaction.

Her parents were extremely cautious, well-informed, and prepared. When she accidentally bit into a camp-provided Rice Krispy Treat and tasted peanut, she spit it out, and her parents administered Benadryl. She seemed fine for 20 minutes, then began to vomit. Her parents then administered an EpiPen, and when that didn’t seem to help, they gave her another, then another.

Three EpiPens and Benadryl, and she still died. It’s our worst nightmare.

Her devastated parents are reminding all of us to be vigilant and are hoping their story will help raise awareness of the seriousness of food allergies.

For more information about Natalie and this tragedy, see “Years of Caution about Peanut Allergy Fails to Save Teen Who Died at Camp Sacramento,” from the Sacramento Bee.

All of us in the food allergy community are heart-sick at this news, and we send our most tender condolences to the family who lost such a lovely daughter.

No comments: