Monday, February 1, 2010

Dip Into It! Food Allergy Dips

by Kelley Lindberg


Can you believe the New Year started only one month ago? It seems like two or three months have gone by. That’s January for you. And of course, the only month longer than January is February – I don’t care what the calendar says.

I was thinking about New Year’s, and I realized I should share a fun discovery I made for the New Year’s party I went to. At a health food store in Layton, I found Tofutti brand sour cream substitute – it’s made of soy, and it’s dairy-free and egg-free.

While it doesn’t take exactly like sour cream, I decided that if I mixed it with an envelope of dip seasoning, it might be acceptable. So I found two brands of dip mixes that are milk- and egg-free: McCormick and Western Family (both contain wheat and soy, however). I tried mixing the Western Family French Onion dip mix into the Tofutti sour cream substitute and it was GREAT! I also used the McCormick Ranch dip mix in another tub of the Tofutti, and it was pretty good. Not quite the same taste as regular ranch, but still good with fresh veggies. But the French Onion dip, I have to say, was really tasty.

McCormick also has milk- and egg-free Spinach Dip and Vegetable Dip flavors, so I’m going to try those, too, mixing them with the Tofutti and some chopped frozen spinach (thawed) and some chopped artichoke hearts.

I love making a new discovery like this – one more option for party fare is always a good thing, right?

No comments: