By Kelley Lindberg
[Thank you to everyone who sent me kind messages about the passing of my father, who taught me how to live life with integrity, strength, and a healthy sense of humor. Because I’m a little swamped right now, I’m letting Mylan, the manufacturer of EpiPens, provide my blog content this week. Thanks, Mylan.]
The marketers and distributers of EpiPen® (epinephrine) Auto-Injector did some research on the trends for Valentine’s Day, and they found some statistics that might surprise you. Pop quiz! See if you can guess whether the following statements are myth or fact.
· Myth or Fact: Valentine’s Day is the most popular occasion for sending greeting cards
Myth! According to the Greeting Card Association, an estimated 145 million greeting cards will be bought for Valentine's Day, making it the second most-popular card-sending occasion in the U.S. Christmas is the most popular.
· Myth or Fact: Everyone loves to get a box of chocolates
Myth! For people who have potentially life-threatening (severe) allergies, getting a box of chocolate might not be a welcome gift. Many chocolates may contain some of the most common food allergens like cow’s milk, eggs, peanuts and tree nuts.
· Myth or Fact: The average adult spends more than $100 to celebrate Valentine’s Day
Fact! The average adult celebrating the holiday will shell out $126.03, according to the National Retail Federation’s 2012 Valentine’s Day Consumer Intentions and Actions survey.
· Myth or Fact: More than half of people purchased flowers or plants as gifts for Valentine's Day 2013
Myth! Twenty-five percent of adults purchased flowers or plants as gifts for Valentine's Day 2013; of those, 64% were men and 36% were women, according to AboutFlowers.com.
· Myth or Fact: You can experience a life-threatening allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) from a kiss
Fact! It is possible to experience a life-threatening allergic reaction if you kiss someone who has eaten something to which you are allergic. Your best bet is to ask your loved one to stay away from your allergens before you pucker up.